Great Stuff Exchange
The Great Stuff Exchange (GSX) is an office supplies giveaway program. The Office of Planning, Sustainability, and Project Management collects items from departments that cannot use them anymore and makes them available for students, staff, and faculty – for free!
Source reduction is the prevention of waste before it is even created. It means avoiding unnecessary purchases and only purchasing items when truly necessary that are designed with durability, toxicity, and end of life disposal, or recycling, in mind. Source reduction is the #1 way to keep waste out of landfills and helps keep valuable resources in circulation.
When we cannot REDUCE, the next best thing is to REUSE. We can all promote reuse as a better alternative to recycling. It is a smart, viable action that any person or department to take at UIC and at home. Reuse also saves your department and the university valuable financial and material resources. Check out pictures from previous year's GSX events!
Can't wait for our next GSX event in September? Come shop early by scheduling an appointment with email@example.com.
Receiving Items Heading link
Typically, items up for grabs include:
- Hanging file folders
- File folders
- Desk Top Furniture (In/Out boxes, Filing sets, Mailboxes)
- Toner and ink cartridges
- Electronics (key boards, mice, cords, cables, and devices)
- Office machines (3 hold punches, staplers, pencil sharpeners)
- Media (writeable CDs or DVDs)
- Office supplies (writing instruments, envelopes, post it notes, paper)
We also have listed many laboratory supplies to use if you work in a UIC research laboratory.
All items are free and can be picked up by scheduling an appointment through the Rheaply website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
While all items are free, we ask that you:
- Take only what you or your department can use;
- If you take something and then find you can’t use it, keep it out of the waste stream by returning it to us for someone else to make use of it.
Donating Items Heading link
For departments looking to donate items to the Great Stuff Exchange program, please make arrangements to drop off acceptable materials to the Office of Planning, Sustainability and Project Management by emailing email@example.com. All donated items must be clean and in working condition. Please submit the form below prior to drop off.
- Appointment Books & Calendars
- Binders, Notebooks & Paper
- Bookends & Vertical Files
- CD’s, DVD’s, Jewel Cases
- Desktop/Mouse Pads & Organizers
- Drawer Organizers
- Envelopes & File Folders
- Inkject, laser, fax and copier toner cartridges
- Unused Greeting Cards
- Name Tag Holders
- Rolodex Boxes & Cards, Index Cards
- Scissors, Staplers, & Hole Punchers
- Pens, Pencils, Lead, & Ink Refills, Toner Cartridges
- Report Covers & Sheet Protectors
- Storage Boxes, Cases, Files & Racks
- Clothing, Shoes, & Furniture
- Hazardous Wastes
- Large Equipment
- Anything with a University “PTag”
- Broken items