Plastic-Free UIC Earth Day Discussion
Earth Day 2020
April 22, 2020
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Chicago, IL 60612
CalendarDownload iCal File
THE STORY OF PLASTIC takes a sweeping look at the man-made crisis of plastic pollution and the worldwide effect it has on the health of our planet and people: fields full of garbage, veritable mountains of trash, rivers and seas clogged with waste, and skies choked with the poisonous emissions from plastic production and processing. The film features interviews with experts and activists on the front lines of the fight, revealing the disastrous consequences of the flood of plastic smothering ecosystems and poisoning communities around the world, and the global movement that is rising up in response. With engaging original animation, archival industry footage beginning in the 1930's, and first-person accounts of the unfolding emergency, the film distills a complex problem that is increasingly affecting the planet’s and its residents’ well-being.
Join in the post-Earth Day discussion to talk about the film and what steps UIC can take to reduce plastic produced and disposed on campus. Sustainability staff, faculty, and students will talk about the plastic problem at UIC and take your questions and help you develop a zero-waste policy for your department, unit, student organization, or residence hall. Make sure to sign up below to be placed on the email list.
April 22, 2020. Zoom
- 12:00 pm - 12:05 pm - Welcome attendees
- 12:05 - 12:10 - Review of housekeeping
- 12:10-12:15 - Introduction of speakers and film recap
- 12:15-12:18 Julia Kim-Cohen: How to engage people into a plastic-free movement in an overwhelming time
- 12:18-12:21 Ning Ai: How to create plastic free policies when the economics of recycling isn’t supported
- 12:21-12:24: Joe Iosbaker: The Story of Recycling at UIC. How UIC increased its landfill diversion rate and how UIC’s recyclables are being handled
- 12:24-12:27: Shantanu Pai: How UIC’s Waste Characterization Study highlights the plastic problem on campus
- 12:27-12:30: Elizabeth Bosarge: Water bottle refill stations on campus help reduce plastic bottle waste.
- 12:30 - 12:55: Discussion and Q&A with meeting attendees and panelists
- 12:55 - 1:00: Wrap-up and next steps with Cindy Klein-Banai, Assistant Vice Chancellor and Director of Sustainability
Apr 15, 2020
Apr 24, 2020