CERC- Campus Electronic Recycling Collection
September 20, 2017
10:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
Hull House Museum
Pullover area south of museum
September 27, 2017
10:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
Student Center West
UIC recycles over 6,900 electronic items annually!
UIC recycles electronics separately from the normal recycling. Any equipment belonging to the university must be disposed of in accordance with the OBFS Equipment Disposal Methods. Additional information about the disposal of equipment as scrap or surplus can be found within the OBFS Equipment Management webpages. Questions may be directed to the Property Accounting & Reporting Office at email@example.com or 312-996-2858.
However, at least once a year, the Office of Sustainability organizes a Campus Electronics Recycling Collection (CERC) Program that centralizes the collection. All you need to do is fill out the associated paperwork, bring your item, along with a hard copy printout of the Property Accounting approved FABWEB disposal request, and we take care of the rest!
To surplus or scrap equipment, you will have to supply the approved FABweb surplus disposal request.
HOW TO SUBMIT PAPERWORK TO DISPOSE OF OFFICE ELECTRONICS
1. Login to FABweb at https://apps.obfs.uillinois.edu/fixedassets/index.cfm
2. Click Process a Surplus/Disposal
3. To process individual records, choose Scrap/ Surplus under Designation Category and hit submit. To upload your excel file with your scrap inventory, click CHOOSE FILE to upload. Remember to add the equipment’s PTag or OTag, Serial Number, and item description.
4. For pick-up location, enter “N/A”. Click Next ( in the middle of the page).
5. Select Warehouse/ Condition- under Warehouse Chart To, select 2-Chicago.
6. Receive automatic email, approve disposal request via FABweb (unit approver/ unit head)
If you do not have access to FABweb, follow these steps to request access
1. Open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer) and go to the following address: https://apps.obfs.uillinois.edu/fixedassets/dsp_AuthInfo.cfm
2. Type your Enterprise ID and Password in the appropriate fields.
3. Click the Login button. Result: The FABweb Request Authorization window will display.
4. Complete all fields of the form, including your six-digit department Organization code. Note that you can fill out a request for yourself or for someone else. The Department COA will always be 2 for UIC departments. You can find your Department Org Code by looking up your department in the UICCampus Unit Listing website. Your department’s Org Code is listed as the Banner Dept number (the 6 digits following the number 2)
5. Click the Continue button.
6. If successful, the Request Authorization window will show a message stating that further instructions will be sent to the e-mail address given. Follow the directions in the email. The user will receive notification when access has been completed.
7. Once you have access to FABweb, you will be able to view and update equipment records for the Chart and Organization code(s) for which you have security access. You will also be able to initiate or approve transfer requests and disposal requests for your Chart and Organization.
Additional notes on equipment:
- Data-containing devices sent to CRS are sanitized according to NIST 800-88 and Department of Defense standards
- A hard drive and a monitor must be listed separately, in case a department wants one and not the other.
- Cords, chargers, cables, keyboards and mice should be boxed together and listed separately from the hard drive or monitor. However, power supplies should remain with laptops.
- Data on hard drives must be overwritten or “scrubbed” and all equipment with a hard drive must be labeled with a “scrubbed” sticker. If not, then someone in Property Accounting will have to degauss.
- We recommend that you sanitize your hard disk drive prior to donating your device. If your device is running MS Windows, you can use Active@ ERASER 4.1 which is freely available via webstore.illinois.edu, or by clicking this direct link. If your device is running Mac OS you can useDisk Utility.