Housed under the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services, the Office of Sustainability forms the focal point for coordinating sustainability initiatives on campus by receiving information, tracking data, and assessing progress. This is accomplished through involvement in institutional and programmatic planning, information dissemination, providing guidance, reporting, and acting as a resource on sustainability in higher education.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is committed to environmental sustainability in all aspects of its mission and will challenge itself to consistently perform all of its functions in the most sustainable ways.
The University of Illinois at Chicago, as part of the local and global community, strives to be a responsible steward of the environment. As such, UIC seeks to minimize its environmental impact both now and in the future; this is consistent with the financial and social viability of the institution and the relevance of its academic programs. Through its academics, research, and operations, UIC will create a campus environment in which sustainable practices and policies are visible and evident to all.
See how our mission relates to UIC’s Mission.
Sustainability sets forth UIC’s sustainability goals
Sustainability guides the Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability and Energy (CCSE) to develop strategies to institutionalize the goals
- Intelligently informs how UIC understands its sustainability performance and invests in sustainability across campus to maximize overall impact.
- The CCSE generates strategies, supports planning, and provides community input. Members also provide data, build consensus, and act as implementation partners.
Sustainability facilitates the execution of the Climate Action Implementation Plan (CAIP)
- Manages and builds collaboration among campus units interested in pursuing the same or similar sustainability-related objectives, thereby reducing duplication of efforts.
- Develops justification, identifies funding sources and mechanisms.
The OS offers signature services and programs
- Provides expertise and delivering capacity to campus units needing direction and hands-on support.
The Office of Sustainability focuses on environmental sustainability with a goal of providing economic and social benefit to the campus community. Our services support VCAS in operations.
These programs help individual units and the campus as a whole to achieve its sustainability goals.