Sustainability Internship Program
The Sustainability Internship Program (SIP) is an initiative through the Office of Sustainability that offers hands-on learning experiences for undergraduates that advance the overall mission of greater social, economic and environmental sustainability in the campus community. This unique program provides an intellectual framework for students to apply classroom learning to project-based engagement. Since summer 2014 we have connected over 100 students to sustainability projects all over our campus including UIC Dining Services, UIC Campus Housing, Utilities, Facilities Management, Bike UIC, the College of Engineering, University of Illinois Hospital and the Energy Initiative.
The program consists of an internship placement at a UIC department or affiliated organization, weekly seminars and field outings that cover a range of educational and skill building topics, and leadership development and project management experience.
Seminar topics include: environmental and energy sustainability issues, cultural sustainability issues, institutional challenges and change management, campus structure and administration, campus sustainability programs and job readiness.
As part of the SIP program interns will:
- Develop a work plan and project goals
- Meet regularly with an experienced mentor
- Share experiences with other SIP interns
- Attend weekly seminars and outings
- Report on campus sustainability using the SIP blog
- Present capstone project results at a poster presentation
Become a SIP Intern
Urban Sustainabilities 390 is the class to accompany the internship program for Spring 2017. Students must first enroll in US390 and then specific internship placements will be decided at the first class meeting. In addition to working with respective placements, all program participants will attend weekly seminars located both at classroom and off-campus sites for the duration of the semester.
Spring 2017 Internship Positions
Bee Campus USA
Building Automation Systems
Dead Supply Society
The Energy Initiative
Hospital Food Recovery and Compost
Foundations Development Research Assistant
Green Explorers Social Media Manager
Green Explorers Teaching Assistant
Local Food Procurement
Good Food Fest
Tree Campus USA
The SIP Intern Experience
SIP Student Blog
Past SIP Intern Placements
SIP Poster Presentations
SIP Intern Image Gallery
Including photos from Volunteer day with the UIC Heritage Garden Internship Program, Tour of Loop Recycling facility, Summer Intern Picnic, Poster Presentations, and SIP Careers Day
Sustainability Intern’s Musings
- 11/07/2016Comments Off on Former SIP interns talk about their experience
- 06/24/2016Comments Off on Campus LEED Certification Internship
- Comments Off on Let’s Be Positive and Recycle Our Batteries!
- Comments Off on Sorry! Please use next bathroom
- Comments Off on UIC Medicinal Plants Garden – The Power of Nature!