Sustainability Internship Program
The Sustainability Internship Program (SIP) is an initiative through the Office of Sustainability that offers hands-on learning experiences for undergraduates that advance the overall mission of greater social, economic and environmental sustainability in the campus community. This unique program provides an intellectual framework for students to apply classroom learning to project-based engagement. Since summer 2014 we have connected over 100 students to sustainability projects all over our campus including UIC Dining Services, UIC Campus Housing, Utilities, Facilities Management, Bike UIC, the College of Engineering, University of Illinois Hospital and the Energy Initiative.
The program consists of an internship placement at a UIC department or affiliated organization, weekly seminars and field outings that cover a range of educational and skill building topics, and leadership development and project management experience.
Seminar topics include: environmental and energy sustainability issues, cultural sustainability issues, institutional challenges and change management, campus structure and administration, campus sustainability programs and job readiness.
As part of the SIP program interns will:
- Develop a work plan and project goals
- Meet regularly with an experienced mentor
- Share experiences with other SIP interns
- Attend weekly seminars and outings
- Report on campus sustainability using the SIP blog
- Present capstone project results at a poster presentation
Summer 2017 positions
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 Summer SIP Cohort. If you are interested in joining the program with a later cohort, subscribed to our Greenlights mailing list to receive updates on Spring 2018 enrollment.
While we continue building our list of available positions, you can get a taste of past offerings below:
Buildings and Energy Use
Recycling and Compost
The SIP Intern Experience
SIP Student Blog
Past SIP Intern Placements
SIP Poster Presentations
SIP Intern Image Gallery
Including photos from Volunteer day with the UIC Heritage Garden Internship Program, Tour of Loop Recycling facility, Summer Intern Picnic, Poster Presentations, and SIP Careers Day
Sustainability Intern’s Musings
- 11/07/2016Comments Off on Former SIP interns talk about their experience
- 06/24/2016Comments Off on Campus LEED Certification Internship
- Comments Off on Let’s Be Positive and Recycle Our Batteries!
- Comments Off on Sorry! Please use next bathroom
- Comments Off on UIC Medicinal Plants Garden – The Power of Nature!