The Office of Sustainability coordinates a number of campus greening initiatives – many related to recycling, active transportation, energy conservation, and the Tree Campus Program – that will affect each department and unit on campus.
To help facilitate communication and implementation at the unit level, we ask each department to designate a staff member to serve as a liaison – an Ecorep – to the Office of Sustainability.
What Ecoreps do
- Work within their Unit or Department to disseminate information on how to support sustainability initiatives on campus
- Communicate with the Office of Sustainability regarding issues that arise in implementing these programs
- Are added to a listserv to receive updates and information about the programs, and share questions
- Attend quarterly meetings (usually lunchtime) to hear new information, share their experiences and successes, and get answers to questions.
- Share ideas, tips, and issues with one another through the listserv.
Potential Ecoreps should be interested in participating and promoting recycling and other outreach initiatives in their department. This person does not need to be a director or in charge of departmental resources or facilities. The ideal representative is someone who has an interest in the environment and sustainability. To become at Ecorep, ask your department head about becoming an Ecorep for your unit/department. Sign up can be made via http://liaisons.accc.uic.edu
Contact Kate Yoshida at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding this program.
Find Your Ecorep: Find your department page here [http://www.uic.edu/htbin/ulist/az] and scroll down to see the Ecorep listing.
See how much your department can recycle between now and March 29!
1) Take the recycling pledge at http://americarecyclesday.org/pledge
2) place all paper, cardboard, glass, metal, and plastic in to the proper recycle bins.
3) Clean out your office by recycling all your old paper files. Request a “green tote” to be delivered to your door by emailing email@example.com
4) Send old electronics, batteries and computers to electronics recycling.
5) Recognize people around you that are going above and beyond to recycle! Got a co-worker or classmate that makes everyone recycle properly or know a UIC Building Service Worker busting their tail to get recycling done in your building? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the resources needed to win the CUB energy Saver Competition! Running March 2014 – March 2015
UIC CUB Energy Saver presented to EcoReps February 2014
Display the CUB Energy Saver poster around your office/ break rooms/ mailrooms
These are presentations from past Ecorep trainings:
Recycling at UIC
Office Max- greener choices for office products
Gordon Flesch- copiers and toner recycling
Allsteel- sustainability company and product features
Food Scrap Composting at UIC