Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability & Energy
- How to Join
- CCSE Reports
- CCSE Accomplishments
- CCSE members list
- CCSE Meeting Minutes
- CCSE Forms
The CCSE is a voluntary committee that works to promote sustainability on UIC’s campus. Membership to the CCSE is open to UIC staff, faculty and students. It is asked that each member choose a subcommittee they are most interested in, and attend as many meetings as possible.
Please fill out the form below to become a CCSE member! You will then be provided information regarding committee and subcommittee meetings, sustainability related events and initiatives on campus.
The Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability and Energy (CCSE) was formed in 2008, as a response to the campus’s Climate Action Plan, which commits UIC to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions to 40% below 2004 levels by 2030, and 80% below 2004 levels by 2050. The CCSE is tasked with making progress towards these Climate Action Goals, assisting with the accountability of sustainability initiatives, and bringing environmental awareness to the UIC campus.
The Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability and Energy (CCSE) has been working since its establishment in 2008 to:
- Set priorities
- Suggest new initiatives
- Monitor UIC’s progress towards goals and actions
- Assist with the preparation of reports for the campus climate commitments
- Help with the accountability of relevant sustainability initiatives
- Promote environmental awareness on campus
The CCSE currently consists of five subcommittees that meet regularly. Meetings are open to the UIC community and are currently posted to the Office of Sustainability’s Events Calendar. Each subcommittee is tasked with separate sustainability related topics, described below.
Energy & Utilities
This subcommittee focuses on initiatives including energy efficiency and conservation projects, renewable energy, and greenhouse gas emissions reduction from electricity and co-generation activities. This will also include water conservation and green building policies.
Events & Activities
This subcommittee focuses on coordinating outreach activities on campus and provides a way for students, faculty and staff in every unit to help promote sustainability efforts and environmental awareness on campus.
The Grounds Subcommittee makes recommendations on policies that guide the management and maintenance of UIC’s landscape and non-building facilities, including the care of trees on campus.
Recycling & Waste Management
This subcommittee looks at UIC’s recycling and waste management programs including general, composting, construction, special and hazardous waste, and recommends processes and programs to reduce waste volume and increase recycling rates.
This subcommittee, by examining transportation on and to campus, including air travel for university business, will develop policy and monitor progress towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the campus fleet and through commuting patterns.
January 2009: CCSE 2008-2009 FINAL REPORT
January 2010: 2010 CCSE Report
October 2013: CCSE Report 2013
In 2010, the CCSE completed its 2010 CCSE Report. This document suggested a variety of recommendations for UIC adopt. Since the completion of this report, many recommendations have been successfully implemented at UIC.
The primary CCCSE Recommendation of the 2010 Report, Student Green Fee, was approved by the Board of Trustees in 2011. The Student Green Fee is a $4 semester based fee charged to all students that serves to improve the quality of campus operations, reduce UIC’s environmental impact, and most importantly generate awareness about environmental issues by creating opportunities for students’ involvement. It has allowed the completion of various sustainability projects on campus including the Heritage Garden and Off-Grid Bus Shelter.
Below is a list of CCSE sustainability related accomplishments as of November 2013:
- Tree Campus USA Program-recognition in 2011 and 2012
- Added Commuting Information to the Employee Orientation
- Ride-Sharing via i-Carpool, a social media web-site to find carpool matches
- Car Sharing and Other Active Transportation Incentives
- Full implementation of the UIC Recycling Program in all buildings on campus
- Campus Electronic Recycling Program (for both university property and personal electronics)
- Pharmaceutical Disposal Program
- Collection of Food Scraps for composting from the Student Centers
- Great Stuff Exchange (GSX)
- Building Energy Metering Initiative – continue to install electronically-monitored meters throughout campus: You can only manage what you can measure!
- Campus Use of Renewable Energy from solar power generated at Lincoln and Douglas Halls
- Continuation of the UIC Energy Master Plan/Utilities Master Plan
- Increasing numbers of Sustainability-related Events
The file below consists of CCSE members for 2014-2015 Academic Year. The list is subject to revision. Please contact Kelly Ting (email@example.com) if you have any question regarding the list.
The five subcommittees of the CCSE meet regularly, typically once to twice a semester. Meetings are open to the public. You can learn about when events occur by checking the UIC events calendar or the Office of Sustainability’s calendar. Below you will find the meeting minutes from the 2013-2014 Academic Year.
RECYCLING AND WASTE MANAGEMENT
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
ENERGY AND UTILITIES