Your Carbon Foot Print
In the context of sustainability, a footprint is considered an easy-to-perceive equivalent amount that your own individual actions have on the planet’s finite resources. We recommend a few different calculators that explain your footprint in different ways:
- The EPA Personal Emissions Calculator gives results in pounds of carbon dioxide generated per year, also known as a Carbon Footprint.
- The Earthday Network Footprint Calculator gives results in number of earths required to support your lifestyle, commonly known as an Ecological Footprint.
- The Nature Conservancy’s Carbon Footprint Calculator measures your impact on our climate. This calculator estimates how many tons of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases your choices create each year.
- Affordable Colleges Online. This site is all about turning green degrees into sustainable careers and discovering environmentally-friendly degrees and job options. They list potential degree subjects and levels, and the related common job titles for specific degrees like a architecture, engineering, designing, health sciences, law, horticulture, environmental science and sustainability, renewable energy, agriculture, and ecology.
- Learn How to be Green Check out this website for a list of national green internships.
- The Higher Education Associations Sustainability Consortium. Here, you’ll find over 60 job listing sites and career pathways sites to assist faculty, students and career advisors. The document is featured in an article by the National Career Development Association entitled Green and Sustainability Jobs and Career Resources–
- U.S. Green Building Council Green Job Board
- Building Green Careers is USGBC-Illinois’ new source for employers and employees looking for jobs and applicants in the green building design, technology and engineering industries. Postings will be updated every Friday and all jobs will be reviewed before adding to our job board. Posting an opportunity to Building Green Careers is currently free. All jobs will be posted for 30 days.
- A Guide to Green Careers. This website helps you navigate what is meant by a “green” job and how to get one! They also help you find “green” internships.
- Click here for other resources for Green Jobs
- Bright Beat Chicago
- Center for Neighborhood Technology
- Chicago Community Climate Action Toolkit
- Chicagoland Green Collar Jobs
- Delta Institute
- Green Festival
- Little Village Environmental Justice Org
- APS Energy=Future Report
- Citizens Utility Board
- Earth Hour
- Energy Star
- Summer Institute on Sustainability and Energy
Food & Dining
- Angelic Organics Learning Center
- City of Chicago’s Farmers Markets
- City Farm & Composting
- Family Farmed & The Good Food Festival
- Growing Power
- The Local Beet
- The Plant
- Resource Center
- Illinois Recycling Association
- Cell Phones
- Container Recycling Institute
- Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation
- Right Cycle Nitrile Glove Recycling
- Active Transportation Alliance
- The Chainlink
- CTA Bus Tracker and Train Tracker
- Green Car Congress
- RTA Trip Planner
- Working Bikes Cooperative
- West Town Bikes
City & State Resources