Green Event Guides
These guides will help UIC event organizers host an event in a sustainable manner, regardless of the content or theme! You may find yourself using multiple guides for a single event. For example, if you are a department having an event in the Student Center East with food, you will use the Green Event Guide for Departments, Green Event Guides for Student Centers, and Catering Services guide. Confused? Give us a call at 312-413-9816 or drop us a line at email@example.com.
For quick facts on sustainability concepts in the Green Event Guides, check out the Green Event Guides Fact Sheet
Guides for groups, like UIC Departments and Student Organizations:
Guides for event locations, like UIC Student Centers and the UIC Forum:
Green Event Guides for Student Centers (must also use Catering Services guide if serving food)
Guide for food:
Green Event Guides for Catering Services (must be used if having event in either Student Centers)
Don’t forget to download the Recycling & Composting posters in the 11×17 size to post at your event!
To receive official recognition from the Office of Sustainability, please fill out the form below. You can contact us with any questions and we’ll be happy to help.
If you are an event host or organizer, please utilize the Guides to gain tips on how to make your event less wasteful and resource intensive. Simply click on the tab “Guides”, and find the Guide for you.
1. Download the “Green Event Guide” that is most related to your event (i.e. if you are a student group, use the “Green Event Guide for Student Organizations”)
2. Throughout the planning and management of your event, simply “check off” tasks that you were able to accomplish. All guides have check boxes next to each suggestion.
3. Send your completed Event Guide to the Office of Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org. A staff member will grade your completed guide, and award you a certificate! The more points you accomplish, the higher level of a certificate you will receive. You will then be featured on our website as hosting a qualified UIC Green Event!
Why use the Green Event Guides?
1. Lessen your environmental impact. These guides offer quick and simple suggestions on how to make your event more sustainable! We include many recommendations including generating participation, recycling and waste minimization, transportation and food and beverage. By using the Office of Sustainability’s Green Event Guides, you are helping UIC reduce it’s greenhouse gas emissions and be more sustainable!
2. Be more marketable! Completing a Green Event Guide after hosting an event, whether it be a small staff meeting or an organized annual event such as an office retreat, you are letting others in the community know that you care about being sustainable! The Office of Sustainability will also feature you on our website as a Green Event! Once completed, you will receive a certificate from our office that you can frame and hang at your office or organization headquarters!
The Green Labs Committee Meeting earned gold status using the Green Event Guide for Departments!
Here are the highlights:
- We used UIC Catering for our coffee (2 points)
- We had cream and sugar in reusable containers… at no additional cost! (3 points)
- We encouraged attendees to bring their own coffee mug/ water bottle (3 points)
- We served water in a pitcher and did not provide bottled water (1 point)
- We invited people from outside of COMRB and used a webinar service so that attendees could view the meeting remotely (2 points)
- Recycling bins were clearly marked (1 point)
These guides were created as a result of the 2013 Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability and Energy (CCSE) Report, which recommended the creation of “campus-wide UIC Green Event Planning Guide”. In the Spring 2014 CCSE Events and Activities meeting, it was decided amongst the committee members to create various guides, to account for the differing types of events on campus.