The Office of Sustainability is seeking an undergraduate student intern to assist with the UIC Recycling Program. The intern will work with Office of Sustainability staff, Physical Plant and other UIC departments to assist with ongoing recycling efforts.
Duties would include:
- Generating an awareness of and promoting campus recycling and conservation programs
- Monitoring location, condition and signage for recycling bins
- Installation and placement of bins and signage in existing and new locations
- Maintaining records on recycled materials
- Understanding barriers to recycling at UIC such as analyzing recycling behavior data and determining the end-of-life destination for commonly recycled items at UIC
- Creating a game plan how to effectively communicate recycling at UIC and increase participation in the recycling program
The ideal candidate will have:
- a passion for recycling
- excellent communication skills; strong interpersonal communication
- proficiency with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.
- good organizational skills
- excellent attention for detail
- familiarity with UIC departments and buildings
- proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel
- familiarity with Adobe Creative suite is a plus
- ability to lift 50 pounds
- Illinois Driver’s license is a plus
The UIC Recycling Intern will be a member of the Sustainability Intern Cohort. The Sustainability Internship Program (SIP) is a new initiative through the Office of Sustainability that offers hands-on learning experiences that help achieve the overall mission of greater social, economic and environmental sustainability in the campus community. The program consists of weekly seminars and field outings on a range of educational and skill building topics including: environmental and energy sustainability issues, cultural sustainability issues, institutional challenges and change management, campus structure and administration, campus sustainability programs and job readiness. The SIP requirements include: meeting weekly work plan goals, frequent meetings with project supervisor, attendance at weekly seminars and outings, blog posts and a final poster presentation.
This paid position is 15 hrs/week during the summer